▍What is KC?
1. Declared on Aug 25th 2008 by Ministry ofKnowledge Economy (MKE), the national standard committee will conduct a newnational untied certification mark –KC mark which represents KoreanCertification from July 2009 to Dec 2010. Electrical Appliances KC SafetyCertification Scheme is a mandatory and self-regulatory safety confirmationscheme in according with Electrical Appliances Safety Control Act for safemanufacturing and sale.
2. The difference between compulsorycertification and self-regulatory safety confirmation.
There are two schemes under KCcertification, compulsory certification and self-regulatory safety confirmationrespectively.
Compulsory certification applied to electricalappliances which may cause severe hazards like fire and electric shock due totheir structure and usage, in accordance with Article 3 of Enforcement Rules ofthe Electrical Appliances Safety Control Act.
Self-regulatory safety confirmation appliedto electrical appliances which have simpler structure and usage, and are lesslikely to cause severe hazards and hazards can be prevented from testing inaccordance with Paragraph 1 of Article 11 and Paragraph 2 of Article 3 ofEnforcement Rules of the Electrical Appliances Safety Control Act.
All individuals or legal person who engagedin manufacturing, assembly, processing electrical appliance.
▍ Certification method
1. The History of KC mark for RechargeableLithium Battery
|KC law||Quality Management & Safety Control of Industrial Products Act||Electrical Appliances Safety Control Act|
|Standard||Self-Regulatory Safety Confirmation Annex 5. Part2||K62133:2012 （IEC 62133 1st ed.)||K62133:2014 (62133 2nd ed.)||KC62133:2015 (IEC 62133 2nd ed.)|
| Remark ||Thebeginning of KC mark||The changing of KC Law||The changing of KC Standard (Aperiod of grace for new KC standard)||The changing of KC standard (The date of enforcement for KC standards)|
|KATS Notification number||KATS NO. 2008-289 (2008.10.16||KATS NO. 2012-0193 (2012.05.24)||KATS NO. 2013-0342 (2013.09.17)||KATS NO. 2012-0193 (2015.07.17)|
1. Sealed secondary batteries intended touse in portable devices.
2. Cells used and sold as battery is underthe scope, but those cell considering part of component of battery is not underthe scope.
3. Batteries used in energy storage deviceor uninterruptible power supply that are greater than 500Wh are not covered thescope.
4. Battery that the volume energy densitylowers than 400Wh/L comes into certification scope from April 1st, 2016.
3、Thecomparison between K62133:2012 and KC62133:2015
| K 62133：2012 ||Continuous low-rates charging||Vibration||Moulded cases stress at high ambient temperature||Temperature cycling||Incorrect installation of a cell||External short circuit||Free fall||Mechanical shock||Thermal abuse||Crushing of cells||Low pressure||Overcharge for lithium systems||Forced discharge||Cell protection against a high charging rate|
|Clause||8.2.1||8.2.2||8.3.1||8.3.2||8.3.3||8.3.4||8.3.5||8.3.6||8.3.7||8.3.8||8.3.9|| || || |
| K 62133：2015 ||Continuous charge at constant voltage （Cell）||Moulded cases stress at high ambient temperature||External short circuit (Cell)||External short circuit (battery)||Free fall||Thermal abuse (Cells)||Crush (Cells)||Over-charging battery||Forced discharge (Cells)||Transport tests (Cell)||Design evaluation-Forced internal short circuits (Cells)|| || || |
4、Theseries classification for rechargeable lithium battery (Between basic model andseries model)
Series application for multiple models withtesting for only one basic model is possible when the rechargeable lithiumbattery shall the same criteria:
1. Cell Type
①Li-ion, ②Lithium Polymer
2. Shape of Cell and Capacity
Cylindrical: ①X≤2400mAh, ②X>2400mAh,
Prismatic / Polymer: ①X≤1500mAh, ②1500mAh<X≤3000mAh, ③3000mAh<X≤5000mAh, ④X>5000mAh
3. Main Material of Cell
Cathode: ①cobalt compound, ②other
Anode: ①carbon, ②silicon, ③other
4. Cell Connectivity of pack: serial and parallel(ex:1S-2P, 1S-1P....)
5. PCM protection devices and specificationshall be the same: FUSE、PTC、IC.
6. Upper limit charge voltage of cell ①X≤4.25V, ②X>4.25V
7. Cell cases: soft packed case or metalcase (Aluminum /steel case )
1. The size of KC mark vary in accordingwith product size
2. The outline of KC mark is in blackcolor.
3. Relating information on KC label: KC Logo; Certification no.; Product name(전지); model name; rating voltage, capacity; factory name; declarer name; manufacture date; original of country;
A/S No.(after service Korean phone no.).
▍MCM advantages on KC certification
● By co-operating closely with Koreancertification institutes such as KTR (Korea Testing & Research Institute),KTC (Korea Testing Certification), MCM can offer the most suitable solutionsand services for our customers in the aspect of lead time, testing process,certification cost.
● One Test, Two Certificates: KCcertification on rechargeable lithium battery can be applied by submitting a CBcertificate for CB conversion solution since Republic of Korea is one of themembers of IECEE and falls in mutual recognition. MCM, as a CBTL under TÜVRheinland, can offer our customers one-stop services in both CB and KCcertification by applying KC application using our own CB test reports andcertificates. One sample, one- time testing with two certificates.